What Does an AV Technician Do?
Good AV technicians are rarely seen or heard, but their work behind the scenes ensures that a client’s message is loud and clear. Audio video technicians set up and run the sound and video equipment used to conduct and share live events including meetings, classes, sporting events, conventions, news conferences and concerts.
AV technicians operate audio and video equipment including microphones, sound speakers, video screens, projectors, video monitors, recording equipment, sound and mixing boards. AV technicians may also set up and operate custom lighting systems. They connect wires and cables, set up rooms according to diagrams and they may also do electrical wiring and basic construction.
AV technicians work in many commercial and residential settings. Both focus on creating the best user experience, but commercial AV techs typically interact with a go-between while residential AV techs typically interact with the people who will be using the equipment every day. They often work nights and weekends.
- Set up and operate sound and video equipment
- Confer with clients to establish directions and timing
- Create and install custom lighting systems
- Monitor sound and video feeds to ensure quality
- Test and resolve equipment issues
- Mix sound inputs and feeds
- Maintain inventory of equipment
Employers require a high school diploma or equivalent for an entry-level position. AV technicians wishing to advance in the field will benefit from an associate degree in audiovisual technology or digital media. Degree programs cover the basics of audio technology, video technology, projection systems, film and TV production and post-production techniques, lighting and computer graphics. Some employers look for Certified Technology Specialist (CTS) certification.
- Have a good eye for image quality and a good ear for sound
- Have good communication skills
- Like to travel and enjoy a changing work environment
- Are good at troubleshooting
- Are comfortable working with computers
- Are physically fit and can lift heavy equipment